Mold is Bad
Look, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Medical Association and all other major health organizations warn of severe health risks from mold spores and toxins. The Journal of the American Medical Association warned that toxic mold has been linked to life-threatening pulmonary hemorrhage in infants.
So the evidence is in: Mold poses serious health risks.
What Can You Do?
Mold testing is one of our areas of expertise, so naturally we recommend that you have a reputable professional test for mold if you have concerns about infestation. But before you get to that point, there are steps you can take to prevent mold in the first place. Unfortunately, there is plenty of mold out there to keep us busy testing, so if we can help you prevent mold, we think everybody wins.
With that in mind, here are some tips to help you reduce the risk of mold in your home or business.
5 Tips to Help Prevent Mold
- Ensure Airflow – Make sure the structure continually exchanges air to ensure ventilation and help control humidity. Routinely inspect ducts and ventilation from exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens for proper operation and ventilation, While you’re at it, check clothes dryer vents to ensure they’re not clogged. Your air conditioning removes moisture from the air, along with cooling it, so don’t turn the air completely off if the humidity is higher than 50 percent.
- Use Anti-fungal Cleaners – Clean bathrooms, kitchens and other areas where moisture can collect with cleaners designed to kill and prevent mold. Make sure you read and follow product safety precautions and instructions for proper use.
- Use anti-fungal paint – These days, there are many mold inhibiting primers, paints, sealers and other products. Ask an expert at your paint or hardware store for tips on products that help prevent mold. Make sure you read and follow product safety precautions and instructions for proper use.
- Keep Your Home or Business in Good Repair – Your home or business is packed with water pipes and other features to deliver and drain water. Regularly inspect your property for signs of water leaks and immediately repair any plumping or drainage problems. Make sure basement sump pumps work properly and check gutters and drains.
- Immediately Clean Up Water Damage – If you do have a plumbing or drainage issue that causes flooding or other kinds of water damage, ensure that you clean it up immediately. Remove porous material that cannot be dried and disinfected. Simply put, don’t leave food and water for mold enclosed in your home or business.
Always work safely. Aways be mindful that water and electricity can be deadly when they mix. Shut off circuit breakers to flooded or water damaged structures. Use protective gear such as gloves, goggles, respirators and protective garments when using chemicals that may produce fumes or be hazardous on contact. Be aware of hazards that could produce slips, trips and falls. Remember that flood water contains chemical and biological contaminants.
Enviocore = Mold Testing You Can Count On
Sometimes we do everything right and still run into problems. If you know or suspect you may have a mold problem, call Enviocore today and find out exactly what you’re facing.
Why Choose Us?
WE’RE SERIOUS ABOUT OUR WORK
We’ll show up at your door with a smile and treat you like a new friend. But be assured that we’re all business when it comes to delivering professional testing and consulting services.
FAST, ACCURATE TEST RESULTS. VERY FAST.
For any environmental testing to be meaningful, much less valuable, you need the results to be reliable and fast. If it takes until mold spores become visible over a large area to get positive mold contamination test results, those results aren’t really “news.” They’re “olds.”
WE TREAT YOUR FAMILY AND BUSINESS LIKE OURS
We never forget that our business is about people. Protecting people from hazards. When we enter your home or business, we consider how we would want to protect our home or business.